Relationship Education and RSE Parent Consultation
From September 2020, the Relationships and Health Education aspects of PSHE education will be compulsory in all Primary schools. The link below explains what will be taught in detail.
As a brief guide the areas covered include:
- Family and people who care for me
- Caring Friendships
- Respectful Relationships
- Being safe
- Internet safety and harms (including online relationships)
- Mental Wellbeing
- Physical Health and Fitness
- Healthy Eating
- Changing Adolescent Body
- Drugs, Alcohol And Tobacco
- Health And Prevention
- Basic First Aid
Due to COVID-19 the DFE have extended the implementation deadline for RSE until the Summer term 2021.
We are going to plan when and how to teach these areas and we want to hear your views.
Age appropriate Sex Education is non-statutory in Primary. We recognise there are concerns about some elements of the new RSE (Relationships and Sex Education) guidance. As a school, we are committed to delivering age appropriate education, which helps keep children safe and secure. These subjects form part of our wider whole school approach to safeguarding every child.
Tower Hamlets is a place where we celebrate our differences and see our diversity as strength. Our borough is a ‘No Place for Hate’ borough and as a school, we work to tackle all forms of prejudice and intolerance. We want our school to be a place, which champions this diversity, and can make all children and their families, feel welcome in the school community and within our borough.
At Bonner Primary School, we hold the following values:
We aim to:
- Encourage all of our children to embrace diversity and to value one another equally;
- Equip all of our children with the necessary skills to take them forward on their educational journey.
We are committed to:
- Providing an inclusive learning environment, fostering mutual respect, tolerance and teamwork;
- Being community-focussed, working closely with parents, other schools and local agencies;
We are proud to have:
- Children who are engaging, well-mannered and eager to learn;
- An effective partnership with parents in our children's learning journey;
- Achieved UNICEF's Gold Award as a Rights Respecting School.
Confidence, respect and a love of learning
Bonner Primary School is committed to following our school values at all times, including in the teaching of RSE.
Under normal circumstances, as a school we would engage with parents/carers through information meetings, but this is not possible due to COVID-19 and social distancing.
We are however, still very keen to engage with parents/carers in our school and want to take your views on board. As we do not know when schools will fully return to normal, we want to ensure that we are prepared and that our parents/carers are involved in this process.
We are asking parents to complete the survey below to hear your thoughts about our approach to RSE.
We also hope to hold Year Group parent consultation meetings to share resources and the content of what will be delivered- these may have to be virtual and are likely to take place in the Spring Term 2021. This will also be an opportunity to ask questions.
Many parents have contacted the school regarding these curriculum changes so we would urge you to complete the survey and have your voice heard.
The link to the survey is below and the deadline for completion Friday 27th November 2020. There is also a useful guide (below) compiled by the DFE that you might also find helpful to read before completing the survey.